December 03, 2008

Sleeping Out for Victims and Survivors for Peace

Last night was the most amazing night of my life. After 24 years of trying to make sense of my mother and brother's deaths, I finally came to the conclusion that their deaths meant peace for the entire world starting with peace in my own local community.

The entire day of Tuesday, December 2, I simply could not wait until 8:00 p.m. when I was to start the "Victims and Survivors for Peace Sleep Out". I was not sure who would show up, but I knew I was. I arrived at 7:00 p.m. with my good friend and brother Tommy from Scotland. I laid my blanket down and propped my pillow on the wall, directly in front of a sign indicating that it was the John Wilson building. You may not know, but Wilson committed suicide during Sharon Pratt Dixon's term as mayor of the city. I knew this going into this movement and wanted to correlate Wilson's death with what is transpiring today and the need for bringing attention to violence, not just domestic violence.

I dialed into the Bev Smith Show and was elated to speak to such a dynamic person. She vowed her support for peace throughout our world and pledged that she would called Congressman Conyers this morning encouraging and requesting a hearing in Congress to show the impact of violence. She also mentioned that she would sit with me while testifying. I am forever grateful for her love and support.

There were more news trucks than I can count coming throughout the night to capture our movement. I was thrilled about getting the word out, but I cannot forget why we were there. When all of the crowds and cameras are gone, we are still here with our pain and grief. But, we have to turn this into resolve and that is what we are doing by holding sleep outs.

I am really thankful for all those who showed up to sleep out, who reached out, and the media for putting our story out there. Thank you to all.

Today, I report that there were no murders last night in the District of Columbia. This is certainly a good start to our peace movement.

1 comment:

Term papers said...

Good Article About Sleeping Out for Victims and Survivors for Peace

Post by
Term Papers Twitter
Term Papers